Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Slice Above the Rest - Statement Wedding Cakes, Style & Inspiration

Cake by Maggie Austin

As a wedding planner, my style is constantly evolving and reshaping by my immediate surroundings, seasonal designer trends and my amazing network of  innovative vendors. For 2012, my design style is definitely gravitating towards simplicity, whimsy, elegance and one-of-a-kind modern designs with clean lines. And, cake is no exception.

The famous quote by Marie Antoinette, "let them eat cake" takes on a whole new meaning these days with some of the amazing pastry artistry out there in this very innovative and competitive wedding industry. I find myself swooning over new designs, flavors and textures each season, and 2012 is no different.

The wedding cake, no matter what style couples lean towards, is an important part of the overall event design, and should be a stunning focal point for guests to admire. Not only should it be gorgeous, but it should also be delicious, after all, it is cake

One vendor that I'm completely inspired by this wedding season is the uber talented Maggie Austin, a DC based wedding cake designer. Her designs are so detailed, so unique and so genius. I can flip through her entire portfolio and just sigh in a dreamy haze. I honestly feel that her cakes are so beautiful, they should be for display purposes only and her clients should just order sheet cake for service. It pains me to think about a cake knife breaking through her perfectly manicured designs.

Below is a collection of my favorite designs from her portfolio. I hope you are as inspired as I am.


Wedding Day Beautiful

Cake by Maggie Austin

Cake by Maggie Austin

  Cake by Maggie Austin

Cake by Maggie Austin

Cake by Maggie Austin


Cake by Maggie Austin
Cake by Maggie Austin

Bridal Shower Beautiful:

 Cake by Maggie Austin

Cake by Maggie Austin
Cake by Maggie Austin
Cake by Maggie Austin
Cake by Maggie Austin
 Cake by Maggie Austin
Cake by Maggie Austin

1 comment: